“ In Italy, they add work and life on to food and wine.” — Robin Leach
Well here it is the end of summer and fate has decreed that I would not spend a portion of it gazing out at the Mediterranean Sea, sigh😔 Instead I am at Trader Joe’s hoping for inspiration for a dinner that will take my taste buds back to sitting in a cafe by the sea, sipping some rose and eating something filled with the fresh flavors of summer. A tall order I will admit but my muse didn’t let me down. Sitting in the produce section was this wonderful little package filled with diced summer vegetables –
As I strolled down another isle, a box of pearl couscous spoke to me. With a funny Greek accent it said, γεια σου κυρία θα μπορούσαμε να φτιάξουμε μια όμορφη σαλάτα μαζί. (Hey there lady, we could make a beautiful salad together.) With the soundtrack from Zorba the Greek playing in my ear, I headed home to cook.
Time to put on your apron!
Pearl Coucous and Vegetable Hash
- 1 cup pearl couscous
- 1 package of Trader Joe’s vegetable hash
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, then add the pearl couscous and cook according to package instructions until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the diced onion and garlic and cook until softened about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the vegetable hash to the skillet and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked to your desired tenderness.
- Combine the cooked pearl couscous with the cooked vegetable hash.
- Squeeze the juice of one lemon over the salad and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top the salad with fresh parsley for garnish.
This delicious pearl couscous and vegetable hash salad is easy to make and absolutely bursting with flavors. It is wonderful served warm, cold, or at room temperature. Try serving it with this recipe for lemon shrimp: https://newclassicrecipe.com/2022/08/23/lemon-shrimp-cocktail-nothing-small-about-the-taste/ Enjoy!