I have finally gotten back into the swing of cooking for my friends. It has been a long hiatus because of my surgery and my wonderful second honeymoon.
This roasted lemon shrimp cocktail has become my go-to appetizer this summer. Besides the fact that it is incredibly tasty, it earned its way into the repertoire because it is very easy and can be prepared in advance of my guests’ arrival.
I serve it with two dipping sauces. One sauce is the traditional cocktail sauce, and the other is Ina Garten’s Louis sauce.
- 2 lb bag of 16-20 shrimp
- 2 lemons sliced very thin
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup of EVOO mixed with 2 tablespoons of Italian seasoning mix
- aleppo pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- slice the lemons very thin and arrange on a sheet pan
- mix the shrimp with the seasoned EVOO
- place the shrimp on top of the lemons
- sprinkle the lemon zest and aleppo pepper liberally on the shrimp
- bake for 15 to 20 minutes
- serve at room temperature
Louis Sauce – Ina Garten
1/2 cup chili sauce (recommended: Heinz)
1/2 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
For the sauce, combine the chili sauce, ketchup, horseradish, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce.
WARNING: Don’t hope for any leftovers. Every time I serve this dish, I end up with an empty plate.