This is another vegetable tale. Do you remember my writing about how long it took to embrace eggplant? Well, I did finally start a romance with aubergines. I mean, how can you resist a vegetable with that fancy title and royal color. Now, I am trying to embrace kale. Unfortunately, it doesn’t have an awesome name or gorgeous color. It is just plain Jane green and tough as nails. But, I am trying. Now pasta fagioli – that’s another story. Pasta fagioli can take a seat at my table any time or day. So, I figured I would be a matchmaker and combine the pasta fagioli and the kale. It turned out pretty tasty but I think I still would have preferred spinach! But if you are a kale lover, you will enjoy this recipe.
PASTA FAGIOLI WITH KALE
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced fennel
- 1 tablespoon of garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon of Calabrian pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds kale, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup canned tomatoes, chopped
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- Salt and Aleppo pepper
- 1 cup canned white cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1/2 pound ditalini
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Pour the oil into a skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the onion and fennel and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Then add the garlic, Calabrian pepper , and half of the kale. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Dump in the tomatoes and the rest of the kale. Season with a pinch of salt. Cover the skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the beans and cook until warmed.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for one minute less than the directions on the packaging. When done, drain the pasta and toss it into the pan with the kale. Turn the heat to high and cook for an additional minute.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, sprinkle with Parmesan if using, and serve.
Talk soon, ❤️💕 Bernadette