I love to play golf. Now, that doesn’t mean I am any good at it, but I just like being outside taking a walk and bashing a ball in a beautiful place with friends. Who wouldn’t, right?
Recently, I have been having some problems with the walking around part due to a problem most upright mammals suffer from – a bad back. I am fortunate to have the nicest man, Bill, who is the Caddy Master at our golf course. When he saw that I was struggling, he helped me out with the cart so that I could continue to enjoy the sport.
I wanted to thank him for his kindness and friendship. I recently got these beautiful figs in my CSA box from Honey Brook Farms and made fig preserves. I gave Bill a jar of my fig preserves. Bill took them home, and his wife Marie made a melt in your mouth cookie and gifted some back to me along with the recipe.
What follows is my recipe for the fig preserves and Marie’s recipe for Mother’s Cookies.
3 sprigs of thyme
8 cups of figs
1/2 cup honey Aleppo pepper
1/2 tsp pepper flakes
1/4 cup of Mike’s hot honey
1/4 cup basaltic
Shredded lemon peel
2 cups of sugar
1 package of liquid certo
- remove the thyme leaves
- chop the figs into small junks
- in a large saucepan add all the ingredients
- bring to a rapid boil
- turn down and simmer for 25 minutes
- pour into clean jars and either freeze or water bath can
MARIE’S MOTHER’S COOKIES
- 1 and 1/2 cup of butter
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups of flour
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. allspice
- small jar of jelly/jam of your choice
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- cream butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl
- add eggs one at a time until totally combined
- beat in vanilla until fluffy
- add flour one cup at a time and allspice
- beat until totally combined
- spread 1/2 of the dough evenly onto a 15 x 10 sheet pan
- spread jelly/jam evenly over dough
- drop remaining dough into little pieces on top of the jelly/jam
- bake for 30 to 35 minutes
- cool and slice into small squared
Thank you Bill for your kindness and thank you Marie for sharing your recipe. It is delicious.
Talk soon ❤️💕 Bernadette