Today I am going to share a recipe for chicken cutlets but these aren’t just any cutlets. These are the famous “Mrs. Scotti’s Chicken Cutlets” that are probably still being talked about with reverence in the small town of Haddonfield.
This recipe originated with my friend, Rosalie. Rosalie is the ultimate Italian Momma. She will love you fiercely. Let you know in no uncertain terms when you are doing something pazzesco (crazy, mad, foolish, absurd in Italian). And shows her love for you by feeding you until you beg for mercy fearing that you will burst and fly crazily around the room like a balloon leaking helium.
Rosalie became famous for her chicken cutlets by feeding all the teenage boys who came to her house these jump in your mouth delicious cutlets. I became sick of having my sons beg me to make “Mrs. Scotti’s Cutlets” so I swallowed my pride and asked for the recipe. She generously shared it with me about 25 years ago and until this day I still tell my sons “I am making Mrs. Scotti’s cutlets for dinner”.
- 1 lb of thin sliced chicken cutlets
- 2 eggs scrambled
- 1/4 cup of Wondra
- 1/2 cup Italian Seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large lemon
- Dry the chicken cutlets with a paper towel
- Scramble the eggs
- Mix the breadcrumbs and the cheese together
- Cover the cutlet lightly with Wondra
- Dip into the eggs
- Cover the cutlet thoroughly with the breadcrumb mixture
- Let rest in the refrigerator for about an hour
- Heat your air fryer to 425
- Thoroughly spray the cutlet with EVOO on both sides
- Put in the air fryer until browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes
- Cut lemon in half and squeeze half of the lemon over the cutlets and cut the remaining half in pieces to serve with the cutlets
Special Note: I have recreated Rosalie’s recipe from memory. Hopefully it is very close to the original. This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled. My family usually eats about 1/2 lb a piece. Rosalie used to travel to South Philadelphia for her cutlets but I like Bell and Evans. If you don’t have an air fryer just cook them on your stove top frying pan with olive oil. Enjoy!
Talk soon, ❤️💕 Bernadette