On Sunday I took my grandchildren to an event that featured breakfast and bingo. I was struck by how the French toast was prepared. It was served as a pull apart muffin. This was a very clever presentation indeed and I decided to try to duplicate it. I will get to that in a few moments.
Back to the bingo. The bingo gods were totally ignoring our table. We would just get to one empty spot needed to fill the card and bam someone would call bingo. My granddaughter, Maya, had her eye on a particular prize and the more we lost the more agitated she became. Her body language was so explicit that she could have been Mary Pickford in a silent movie. Elation, dejection, hope were a few of the very evident emotions on display.
Unknown to Maya she was being watched closely by a guardian angel named Betsy L. When Betsy called bingo she came to our table and gave her card to Maya. Needless to say Maya was elated as she retrieved the coveted prize. Betsy you truly saved the day and I want to thank you so much.
Now back to the recipe:
“What really matters is helping others win, too, even if it means slowing down and changing our course now and then.” Fred Rogers
Cooking spray, for pan
- Muffin cups
- 12 slices of bread
- 6 eggs
- 1and 1/2 cups low fat half and half
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350° and grease a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
2. Cut bread into ½” cubes and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt until mixture is smooth. Add bread pieces and toss until the bread has absorbed most of the liquid.
4. Divide mixture between muffin cups
5. Bake until bread is toasted and muffins are cooked throughout, about 25 minutes. Let cool in muffin tin for 5 minutes.
Special Notes: If you do an internet search you can find very many variations on this basic recipe. I am thinking that adding blueberries next time would be fun. I also found another version that added pieces of bacon.
Until next time❤️💕Bernadette