People Who Love To Eat Are Always the Best People. Julia Child
The weekend gives us more time to fool around and experiment with different flavors, techniques and recipes that we may have been curious about but haven’t had time to try. I hope to make this a regular Thursday post with recipes that have intrigued me and that I would like to try. If you have something you would like see posted, just leave a link in the comments.
Mini Onion Tarts
by Jennifer https://www.curatedbyjennifer.com
- 2-3 onions
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- ¾ cup ground flax seed
- 1¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves, plus more for the top
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- vegan feta or goat cheese optional
- Pre-heat oven to 350°
- Peel the onions and cut off the ends and simmer whole in water or broth for about 1o minutes. Let cool and slice into thick rounds.
- Cook the quinoa in a cup of water according to the packages instructions. It’s usually about 15-20 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix together quinoa, flax seed, almond butter, minced garlic, almond butter, 1/4 cup of water, thyme, salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal balls and flatten into circles.
- Place an onion on top of each mixture and push down so the sides of the dough go up around on the onion.
- Sprinkle each onion tart with thyme, salt and pepper
- Bake for 20 minutes then broil for about 5 minutes until the onion is golden brown.
- If using vegan cheese, sprinkle on top
This next recipe is from The Fabulous Fare Sisters, Linda and Heidi
CHARLOTTE’S OLÉ DIP
Here’s another one of my friend Charlotte’s appetizers that is always welcome at our get-togethers. In fact, we have to set aside a scoop or two before we put it in front of our guys because it’s usually gone so fast!! Thanks Charlotte for another great dip…
Charlotte’s Olé Dip
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 can Hormel Turkey Chili with Beans
1/2 cup Shredded Taco Cheese
Diced Olives (as much or as little as you like)
Canned drained green chilies (as much or as little as you like)
Layer each ingredient in an 8″x8″ square serving dish. Cover with wax paper; place in the microwave and cook on high for 8 minutes. Serve with your favorite crispy tortilla chips. Serves 6-8 people as an appetizer.
This recipe is from Ribana at the https://popsiclesociety.com
Perfect Christmas season brunch
The perfect combination for a super easy and healthy meal.
Servings 2 people
- 1 small bell pepper
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce (Barilla Napoletana sauce)
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 2 eggs
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
- a few fresh parsley leaves
- Slice the bell pepper and add it into a pan with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil, salt & pepper. Cover the pan with the lid and let it cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes sauce. I like to use Barilla Napoletana sauce because it has onion, garlic, carrots and Mediterranean herbs combined perfectly with the tasty Italian tomatoes.
- Let it cook for 1-2 minutes then add the drained chickpeas.
- Mix it well and make 2 wholes and put the eggs.
- Season with salt and pepper and let it cook with the lid on for 1-2 minutes or until the eggs are done but the yolk is still runny.
- Add a few fresh parsley leave if you want and enjoy it as is still hot.
It is not only delicious but also healthy. Enjoy it!
I hope you have enjoyed reading these recipes and will be inspired to try one or two of them this weekend. Also, if you have time, please visit the three blogs that I have cited.
Happy Weekend Cooking, BernadetteXxx